We’ve discovered an inventive recipe pairing the brassica superfood cauliflower with a savory goat cheese sauce. If you visit New Orleans, you’ll find this signature dish by chef Alon Shaya on the menu at Domenica restaurant, www.domenicarestaurant.com. We have tested it here using Redwood Hill Farm cheeses and our Green Valley Organics Lactose-Free Cream Cheese and the results are lovely! Chef Shaya precooks the cauliflower in seasoned liquid infusing it with flavor, and roasts the whole head at the finish crisping the cauliflower and creating a colorful, textural contrast to the silky whipped goat cheese.
Nutritional Content Per Serving:
Calories(kcal) 480, Fat (g) 37, Saturated Fat (g) 15, Cholesterol (mg) 60, Carbohydrates (g) 11, Dietary Fiber (g) 3, Total Sugars (g) 4, Protein (g) 10, Sodium (mg) 1320
Roasted Cauliflower with Whipped Goat Cheese
- Yield: 1 roasted head (6 Servings)
- Ready In:
Seasoned and roasted whole cauliflower head served with a savory, creamy cheese dressing.
- 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 Tbsps. lemon juice fresh
- 2 Tbsps. butter unsalted
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head of cauliflower leaves removed
- WHIPPED GOAT CHEESE:
- 4 ounces Chèvre Goat Cheese Redwood Hill Farm Plain
- 3 ounces Goat Milk Feta Redwood Hill Farm
- 3 ounces cream cheese we like Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil plus more for serving
- Coarse sea salt (for serving)
- ROASTED CAULIFLOWER:
Preheat oven to 475°.
- Bring wine, oil, kosher salt, juice, butter, red pepper flakes, sugar, bay leaf, and 8 cups water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add cauliflower, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, until a knife easily inserts into center, 15-20 minutes.
- Using 2 slotted spoons or a mesh spider-style strainer, transfer cauliflower to a rimmed baking sheet, draining well.
- Roast the cauliflower, rotating sheet halfway through, until brown all over, 30-40 minutes.
- WHIPPED GOAT CHEESE AND ASSEMBLY:
While cauliflower is roasting, blend goat cheese, cream cheese, feta, cream, and 2 tablespoons oil in a food processor until smooth; season with sea salt.
- Transfer whipped goat cheese to a serving bowl and drizzle with oil.
- Transfer finished, roasted cauliflower to a plate. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with whipped goat cheese.
- OPTIONAL DO AHEAD:
Whipped goat cheese can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy