Sweet Pepper Tart with a Goat Cheese Crust
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
The recipe for these delectable tarts is from cookbook author Michele Anna Jordan.
- 1 tart shell, baked (recipe follows)
- 3 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large red and/or yellow bell peppers, roasted, peeled and cut in medium julienne
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper in a mill
- 1 egg(
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated dry Jack Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Italian parsley leaves fresh, minced
- 3 Tbsp herb flowers fresh, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) Redwood Hill Farm Goat Cheddar
- First, prepare the tart shell and set it aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan set over low heat, add the onion, and saute slowly until it is very soft, fragrant, and sweet, about 18 to 20 minutes. Do not let it burn.
- Add the garlic, saute 2 minutes more, add the peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and egg yolks until smooth.
- Add the half-and-half, fold in the dry jack, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley and 2 tablespoons of herb flowers and set aside briefly.
- Spread the pepper mixture over the surface of the tart shell and top it with the cheddar.
- Pour the custard over the mixture, agitate the pan to distribute evenly, and scatter the remaining 1 tablespoon of herb flowers over the top.
- Bake the tart in the center of the oven until it is set and lightly brown on top, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
- Tart Shell Ingredients
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces fresh Redwood Hill Farm Chevre
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Tart Shell Instructions
- Mix together the flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter, combine the chevre and butter, add the flour, and mix quickly and thoroughly. If the mixture doesn't quite come together, add 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water.
- Let chill for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, roll out the dough, and press into a 9-inch tart shell with a removable bottom.
- Bake for about 121 minutes, until the pastry is firm and just beginning to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
Serves 4 to 6
- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner