Recipe: Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Ragu of Mushrooms, Jerusalem Artichokes and Olives
Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Ragu of Mushrooms, Jerusalem Artichokes and Olives
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
From John Ash, Chef Consultant
- 4 large large boned, half chicken breasts, skin on
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) Redwood Hill Farm Chèvre
- 2 tsp. fresh tarragon, mint, parsley and chives minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. Jerusalem Artichokes, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms Crimini or Shitake , quartered
- 2 tbsp. black olives such as Nicoise, pitted and finely diced
- 1 1/4 cup cup rich chicken stock
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cut a 3 inch or so pocket in the thickest part of the breast.
- Mix the goat cheese, herbs and zest together in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stuff each breast with a quarter of the filling and then close the pocket with a toothpick.
- Season breasts with additional salt and pepper and set aside refrigerated until serving time.
- To Prepare the Ragu
- Saute the artichokes in two tablespoons of butter over high heat until lightly browned, about one minute.
- Set aside; wipe out pan and saute mushrooms in 2 tbsp. each of olive oil and butter until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms to the artichokes along with the olives and parsley and set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter and olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat and place the breasts skin side down in the pan.
- Saute for 5 minutes or so or until skin is golden brown and crisp. Turn and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until cooked through and firm to the touch.
- Remove breasts and keep warm.
- Pour fat from pan and over high heat; add the stock, wine and lemon juice and boil, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Cook over high heat until mixture is reduced and beginning to thicken
- Add Ragu, taste for salt and pepper and warm through.
Place breasts on warm plates, top with Ragu mixture and serve immediately.
- Course: Entrée
- Skill Level: Beginner