This recipe comes to us from Cheryl Forberg, RD, Nutritionist for NBC’s The Biggest Loser.
Recipe: Shredded Beets with Crumbled Goat Cheese and Creamy Citrus Dressing
Shredded Beets with Crumbled Goat Cheese and Creamy Citrus Dressing
- Yield: 1 (8 Servings)
It takes only minutes to grate peeled, raw beets in a food processor. If you prefer, you can also use diced cooked beets, though the texture of raw beets gives this salad more volume and a bit of crunch. This vinaigrette tastes indulgent. Thanks to a dollop of yogurt, this dressing has a creamy, luscious texture. It's scrumptious on this salad or drizzled on grilled fish or chicken. Try substituting other combinations of citrus fruits, such as lemons, grapefruit, or blood oranges, to create unique flavors. Adapted with permission from Flavor First: Cut Calories and Boost Flavor by Cheryl Forberg, RD (Rodale, 2011)
- 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Yogurt drained to thicken
- 1 tsp lime zest grated
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbls chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tbls agave syrup or honey
- 1 tbls vinegar unseasoned rice
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil light or grapeseed oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 cups beets grated raw (about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 tbls Redwood Hill Farm Chèvre plain
- 2 tbls chives chopped fresh
- Combine the yogurt, lime zest and juice, cilantro, agave nectar or honey, vinegar, and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle in the oil until it's incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
- Toss the beets with about 1/4 cup of the dressing. Top with chèvre, crumbling from tub with a fork. Garnish with chives. Serve at room temperature.
- Course: Salad
- Skill Level: Beginner