Recipe: Sesame Thyme Crusted Goat Cheese with Arugula Salad and Warm Shitake Tomato Vinaigrette
Sesame Thyme Crusted Goat Cheese with Arugula Salad and Warm Shitake Tomato Vinaigrette
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
What fun we had when the crew of the Food Networks show, Ming's Quest came to Redwood Hill Farm to film! Chef Ming Tsai developed this delicious recipe with Redwood Hill Farm's California Crottin.
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced; save some sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper coarsly cracked
- 2-3.5 oz Redwood Hill Farm California Crottin 4 total pieces, split diagonally
- 1 pound arugula prepped
- 2 tablespoons pommery mustard whole grain
- 3 tablespoons vinegar red wine
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes ripe, (yellow and red), 1/2 inch dice
- 1 loaf sour dough bread crusty; , cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 head garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- On a plate, mix together the sesame seeds, thyme and coarse black pepper. Dip the cheese slices in seed mixture on cut side only.
- In a very hot non-stick pan coated lightly with olive oil; pan sear the crusted side only until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the mustard, vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Season and check for flavor.
- In a hot saut� pan coated lightly with olive oil, saut� the shallots and shitakes until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and deglaze with the vinaigrette. Check for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula with half of the vinaigrette and check for flavor. Add more vinaigrette if needed.
- Slice the head garlic in half and lightly rub the bread with the garlic and grill until golden brown.
Arrange greens on four serving plates and plop one seared Crottin on each salad. Serve immediately with toasted sourdough.
- Course: Salad
- Skill Level: Beginner