Food Network Chef Ming Tsai visited our farm, and created for us this delicious arugula salad with warmed California Crottin.
Sesame Thyme Crusted Goat Cheese with Arugula Salad and Warm Shitake Tomato Vinaigrette
- Yield: 4 Servings
What fun we had when the crew of the Food Networks show, Ming's Quest came to Redwood Hill Farm to film! Chef Ming Tsai developed this delicious recipe with Redwood Hill Farm's California Crottin.
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme minced; save some sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper coarsly cracked
- 2-3.5 oz California Crottin or Terra Goat Cheese 4 total pieces of Crottin or 2 of Terra split diagonally
- 1 pound arugula prepped
- 2 tablespoons pommery mustard whole grain
- 3 tablespoons vinegar red wine
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes ripe, (yellow and red), 1/2 inch dice
- 1 loaf sour dough bread crusty; , cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 head garlic
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- On a plate, mix together the sesame seeds, thyme and coarse black pepper. Dip the cheese slices in seed mixture on cut side only.
- In a very hot non-stick pan coated lightly with olive oil; pan sear the crusted side only until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the mustard, vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Season and check for flavor.
- In a hot saute pan coated lightly with olive oil, saute the shallots and shitakes until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and deglaze with the vinaigrette. Check for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula with half of the vinaigrette and check for flavor. Add more vinaigrette if needed.
- Slice the head garlic in half and lightly rub the bread with the garlic and grill until golden brown.
Arrange greens on four serving plates and plop one seared Crottin or a half piece of one seared Terra on each salad. Serve immediately with toasted sourdough.
- Course: Salad
- Skill Level: Beginner