Surprise your family with a different breakfast idea: the savory muffin. It will fill your kitchen with the warm and earthy fragrances of basil, feta cheese and freshly baked bread, welcoming late risers as they pile out of bed. We suggest serving these muffins with honey butter, which creates a beautiful combination of sweet and savory and enhances the contrast of the tender crumb with the crunchy, seeded muffin top. This recipe was inspired by the Hummingbird Bakery Cook Book, which was published by the legendary Hummingbird Cupcake Shops in London, where it first appeared.
Savory Feta & Basil Muffins
- Yield: 12 muffins (6-12 Servings)
- Ready In:
Savory feta cheese, fragrant basil and the taste of freshly baked bread combine for an easy, flavorful take on the breakfast muffin.
- 2 cups + 1 Tbsp. flour all purpose
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup goat milk kefir Redwood Hill Farm Traditional Plain or substitute whole milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter melted
- 3/4 cup tiny frozen peas
- 3/4 cup ham diced, or crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 1/2 cup Goat Milk Feta Redwood Hill Farm, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds salted & toasted
- 2 tsps. butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Combine the eggs and kefir in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.
- Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Fold in the peas, ham (or bacon), feta and basil.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, dividing the batter evenly, until cups are about 2/3 full. Sprinkle each muffin with 1 generous tablespoon of pumpkin seeds. Press gently with the back of your spoon to adhere the seeds to the batter. Bake for 25-30 min or until golden and spring slightly to the touch. Remove from oven and brush the tops of each muffin lightly with the 2 teaspoons of melted butter. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for five minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Course: Breakfast
- Skill Level: Easy