Tres Leches Cakes is a classic Mexican dessert traditionally made with yellow cake drenched with sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream; topped with whipped cream and a cherry. We make ours in individual dessert cups (no sharing required!) and switch out the milks for our creamy goat’s milk yogurt and tangy kefir mixed with a splash of evaporated milk and vanilla. The result is a light and refreshing fruity dessert that’s a feast for the eyes and taste buds.
Make it Lactose Free: Substitute Earth Balance Buttery Spread for the butter, Green Valley Organic’s Lactose Free Blueberry Pomegranate Acai Kefir for the Redwood Hill Farm Kefir, Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Honey or Vanilla Yogurt for the Redwood Hill Farm Yogurt, and Soy Whipped Cream for the regular whipped cream.
Individual Tres Leches Cakes
Tres Leches Cake is a classic Mexican dessert made with yellow cake and sweetened condensed milk.
- 2 1/4 cups flour sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter unsalted, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 large egg(s)
- 1 cup Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream
- 1 medium orange juice and zest
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir Mango Orange Pineapple Flavor
- 1 6-oz. container Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Yogurt Vanilla Flavor
- 1 cup evaporated milk or rice, soy or almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 3 cups berries and fruit sliced, assorted (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi and mango)
- 6 individual dessert cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the bottom (not the sides) of a 9X13 baking pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer (hand or stand) until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes), add sugar and vanilla and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream to the creamed butter and sugar mixture, mixing well after each addition, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add orange juice and zest and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 35 to 45 minutes. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpick; the tester should come out dry and clean.
- While the cake cools, mix together the kefir, yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. When cake is cool, cut out 12 circles of cake using the glass as a guide.
- To assemble, place one cake disc at the bottom of each glass. Poke holes in each piece using a fork and pour 3 Tbs. of the "three milks" mixture over the cake. Spread 3 to 4 Tbs. of whipped cream over the cake, sprinkle with fruit and top with a second cake disc. Poke holes in the second cake disc and carefully pour about 2 Tbs. of the "three milks" mixture over the cake. Top with whipped cream and garnish with fruit. Cakes can be refrigerated up to 8 hours before serving.
- Chef's Quick Tip: Instead of baking a cake from scratch, grab a yellow cake mix (regular or gluten free) and mix in 2/3 cup water, 1 stick softened butter or 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 eggs, 1 cup sour cream and the juice and zest of one orange. Bake according to directions for a 9X13 cake pan.
- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Beginner