Use a squeeze bottle to create the heart-shape of these savory blini made with goat milk kefir. For the topping, 0ur sister brand, Green Valley Organics® ultra-creamy lactose free sour cream mixed with capers and zesty lemon adds the perfect touch. Make the batter a day ahead, or go a step further and make the blinis a day ahead, refrigerate and reheat on a baking sheet in a 300°F oven until warm. Got some gluten-free guests? Simply substitute your favorite gluten-free all-purpose baking flour blend and one teaspoon xanthan gum for the all-purpose flour. Buckwheat is gluten free. Be sure to have a thermometer on hand to assure the proper water and milk temperature.
Heart-Shaped Blini with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Caper Sour Cream
- Yield: 36 heart-shaped blini (12 Servings)
- Ready In:
Savory appetizer bites made with Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir and topped with a dollop of Green Valley Organics lactose free sour cream
- 1 tsp yeast active, dry
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water warm (110F-115F)
- 1 cup milk soy, rice or diary
- 1 1/4 cup flour all-purpose
- 1/2 cup flour buckweat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup butter for cooking
- 2 large egg(s) separated
- 1 12-oz container Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp dill fresh chopped, plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers chopped, plus more for garnish
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 lbs. smoked salmon thinly sliced and cut into 36 bite-size pieces
- Stir together yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl to dissolve. Stir in milk and let stand 5 to 7 minutes, until frothy.
- Sift flours and salt into a separate bowl. Whisk in yeast mixture, then whisk in Redwood Hill Farm Plain Kefir, melted butter and egg yolks. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, set in a warm place and allow to rise for one hour.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30 minutes longer. The batter should be bubbly.
- While the batter rises, whisk together sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, onion and capers in a small bowl. Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place batter in a squeeze bottle using a funnel. Add a tablespoon of melted buttery spread and swirl the pan to coat evenly.
- Squeeze the batter into the outline of a heart and fill in the heart outline with batter. Cook about 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles appear, flip and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Place cooked blini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve. Serve topped with smoked salmon and a dollop of Lemon Caper Sour Cream.
- Chef’s Make-Ahead Tip: To freeze blini, place parchment paper between each blini, wrap in plastic wrap and foil. To reheat, arrange blini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and warm in a 300°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Moderate