Update your classic holiday green bean casserole, using our cheddar goat cheese, lactose free sour cream, and fresh, in-season fennel and green beans.
“As a kid, my very favorite Thanksgiving dish was the green bean casserole. It still is, come to think of it. I suppose it’s one of the formative flavors from my childhood. Fast forward a few decades, and now that I’m pushing forty (gah!) and have changed how I eat, the notorious canned-soup version doesn’t really hold the same appeal for me. So what to do? Make a new dish that kicks the old one’s butt, that’s what!”
– Andrew Wilder, Eating Rules
Read the complete post:
Green Bean Casserole with Smoked Redwood Hill Farm Goat Cheddar and Fennel
- Yield: One 9 (8-10 Servings)
- Ready In:
Green Bean Casserole made with Redwood Hill Farm Smoked Goat Cheddar, Green Valley Organics lactose free sour cream, fennel and slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup fennel bulb chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms thinly sliced (baby portobellos, crimini, or white whould all work)
- 1/4 tsp salt Kosher or Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper fresh ground
- 2 tsp flour whole wheat (omit for gluten-free)
- 6 ounces Green Valley Organics Lactose Free Sour Cream
- 4 ounces Redwood Hill Farm Smoked Goat Cheddar shredded
- 4 ounces almonds slivered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. While it's heating, rinse the green beans and trim the stems.
- Add the beans to the water and return to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes until tender-crisp. Remove from water and immediately place in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Once cool, drain in a colander. Cut the beans into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-heat. Add the onion and fennel and sauté until the onion is translucent, about five minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently. Add the salt and pepper.
- Once the mushrooms have released their juices and shrunk (about 5-6 minutes), sprinkle in the flour and continue stirring for another minute, so the flour mixes in and absorbs some of the juices.
- Mix in the sour cream and shredded cheese. Once the sour cream has softened and the cheddar has melted, mix in the green beans. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Scoop the entire mixture into a 9″ x 9″ casserole dish and use a spatula or spoon to level it all out. Sprinkle the almonds on top.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 35-45 minutes, until heated and bubbly and the almonds are lightly toasted.
- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy