Our CFO, Darlene Brazil, contributed this delicious chocolate cake recipe at the peak of zucchini season this year. It was a big hit in the office. If you’re looking for moist, rustic, doubly-chocolatey comfort-food, here you go. Top this irrestible chocolate cake simply with sifted powdered sugar, or go rich with your favorite buttercream or cream cheese frosting. For a ‘better-for-you’ cream cheese frosting, try this favorite of the chef’s at Redwood Hill Farm: Classic Cream Cheese Frosting Using Chèvre.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Ready In:
Delicious chocolate cake recipe with a unique ingredient for moistness: zucchini!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg(s)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir plain flavor
- 1 tsp vinegar white
- 2 1/2 cups flour unbleached
- 4 tbsp cocoa unsweetened
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips semisweet
- 1/4 cup nuts chopped (optional)
- Grease & flour two 9” cake pans.
- Mix vinegar into kefir.
- Cream butter, oil, and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla and kefir.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Blend sifted mixture into creamed mixture. Add zucchini.
- Pour batter into pans; sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top.
- Bake for 45 min. at 325 degrees.
- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Moderate