Featured in Sunset magazine, this delicious recipe stuffs Poblano chilies with cheesy mashed potatoes. Serve with home-made bell pepper salsa, or cut prep time by purchasing prepared salsa. Our thanks to Barbara Schack, sister of the late Steven Schack, former co-owner of Redwood Hill Farm, for contributing this, one of our favorite recipes.
Recipe: Potato Cheese Chilies
Potato Cheese Chilies
- Yield: 6 to 8 (4 Servings)
- Ready In:
Barbara stuffs her chilies with seasoned mashed potatoes. You can mash fresh potatoes or use frozen or instant. To get maximum space for stuffing, select straight poblano chilies. This delicious recipe has also been published in Sunset Magazine.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, hot or cold
- 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Chevre
- 1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Raw Goat Milk Feta or cotija, crumbled
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 pound fresh poblano chilies (also called pasillas; 6-8 equal size) rinsed
- Bell pepper salsa (recipe follows) or 1 cup purchased red salsa
- In a bowl, use a fork or mixer to blend potatoes, chevre, 1/4 cup cotija, canned chilies, onion, and salt to taste.
- Wearing rubber gloves, cut poblanos in half lengthways. With a knife, cut seed lump from beneath the stem inside each chili, leaving stem end in place (to form a cup). Pull out and discard veins.
- Fill chilies equally with potato mixture.
- Set chilies in an oiled 9- by 13-inch casserole, filling it. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cotija, and return to oven.
- Bake until stuffing is dotted with brown, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Bell Pepper Salsa
- In an 8- to 9-inch square pan, combine 1 cup coarsely chopped firm-ripe tomatoes; 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell peppers, 2 cloves chopped garlic, and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until tomatoes mash easily, 50 - 60 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Add 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, 1/3 cup chopped green onions, 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon sugar.
- Whirl until coarsely pureed. Add salt to taste.
- Makes 1 cup
Serve chilies with a wide spatula. Add Bell Pepper Salsa and salt to taste.
- Course: Entrée
- Skill Level: Beginner