A Redwood Hill Farm favorite!
This recipe has been a favorite for as long as we can remember. There is an amazing persimmon tree on the farm, each year it gifts us such an abundance of fruit AND the fall color is spectacular (it’s fall and I must get a picture soon and post it here). This tart has it all, great contrast of tart and sweet, the creamy chèvre just shines and it’s beautiful to look at before slicing for your family or guests.
Baking with the seasonal harvest is such a great way to celebrate…please let us know how YOU like this recipe!
Persimmon and Chèvre Tart
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
This wonderful tart of firm, sweet persimmons and salty, savory Redwood Hill's Chèvre makes a just-sweet-enough combination, perfect for a dessert or as part of a brunch buffet. The herbs, an integral part of this dish, enliven it and make it sparkle. This delicious combination of flavor and texture is balanced well by the sweetness and complexity of a good dessert wine.
- 1 pound Fuyu persimmons (if you use Hachiya type, use when soft, not mushy, & peel persimmons first)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 (8- to 8-inch) partially baked pate sucre tart shell
- 2 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 4 ounces Redwood Hill Farm Chevre (plain)
- 2 tsp tarragon minced
- 2 tsp basil minced
- 2 tsp chives minced
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cut each persimmon horizontally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Toss with the lemon juice.
- Arrange in the tart shell in overlapping circles. If the fruit is not very sweet, sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the fruit starts to cook but is still firm. Baking time will vary depending on the ripeness and thickness of the fruit.
- Remove the tart from the oven and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese softens and starts to brown, about 5 minutes longer.
- If desired, put the tart under the broiler to get more color.
- Remove the tart and garnish with the chopped herb mixture.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner