Dairy products, like kefir and yogurt, are preferred methods for tenderizing, as they are mildly acid so they don’t toughen proteins like highly acidic marinades, such as papaya, pineapple, vinegar and full strength citrus juices. Perfect for any kind of meat or vegetables!
Mediterranean Marinade + Tzatziki Sauce
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
Add sunny Mediterranean-inspired flavor and a tender bite to chicken kabobs, pork souvlaki, grilled chicken breasts and thighs, shrimp and summer veggies. Marinate meats for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours, and vegetables and seafood for 30 minutes, up to 1 hour (to prevent mushiness), grill and serve wrapped in a pita topped with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, red onion, feta cheese, and tzatziki sauce*.
- Mediterranean Marinade:
- 2 cups Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir plain
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons juice and zest
- 1 Tbsp. oregano dried
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 - 3 lbs. meat of your choice
- Whisk together the first six ingredients in a glass (non-reactive) bowl. Add meat or vegetables of choice, cover and refrigerate (at least 2 hours for meats and 30 minutes for seafood, fish and vegetables).
- Grill over medium heat until the meat is done to your liking.
- Garnish grilled meats and vegetables with fresh lemon wedges.
- Chef's Tip: When making kabobs or souvlaki, soak wooden skewers for
at least 30 minutes before using, to help prevent burning.
- *Tzatziki Sauce
1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and shredded
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tsp. chopped fresh mint (optional)
Whisk together all ingredients and refrigerate until needed.
- Course: Side Dish
- Skill Level: Beginner