Recipe: Goat Milk Cheese Creme Brulee
Goat Milk Cheese Creme Brulee
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
from Jeffrey Madura, John Ash & Company
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean (4 inches long, sliced in half)
- Kosher salt pinch
- 8 egg yolk(s)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon thyme fresh, chopped
- 3/4 cup Redwood Hill Farm Chèvre plain
- 8 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a sauce pan heat the cream, vanilla bean and salt to scalding.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the hot cream and scrape the tiny seeds back into the cream
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until well mixed and light in color.
- Stirring constantly, slowly add the hot cream, melting the sugar and making sure not to scramble the eggs.
- Strain and skim off any bubbles.
- Gently stir in crumbled goat cheese and lemon thyme until dissolved.
- Divide the mixture among 8 ramekins placed in a roasting pan.
- Fill the pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the side of the ramekins.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until the center is just beginning to set and is no longer liquid.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven and cool.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 5 hours or overnight.
- At serving time, combine the sugar and pepper in a small bowl.
- Preheat a broiler and sprinkle 1 tbsp. of the sugar mix evenly over the surface of each custard.
- Broil as quickly as possible until the sugar is caramelized.
Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately.
- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Beginner