Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Olive Oil and Lemon Mashed Potatoes
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
from Carolyn Wente, Wente Vineyards
- The Potatoes:
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled. Yukon Gold preferred
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 7 tablespoons finely chopped lemon zest Kosher salt
- Kosher salt
- The Chicken:
- 4 large chicken breast halves with wings attached
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farm Chevre
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup honey tangerine juice or regular tangerine juice
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a sharp knife. Drain and return to the pot.
- Add the olive oil, cream, lemon juice and lemon zest and mash with a hand masher or heavy whisk. Season with salt. Keep warm in a double boiler.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On the thick side of each chicken breast, near the wing bone, cut a pocket in the flesh. Fill each pocket with 1/4 cup chevre.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, ovenproof saute pan over high heat. Add the chicken to the saute pan, skin side down. Lower the heat to medium-high. Cook until the skin is nicely browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breasts over and place in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be at least 140 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let rest on a plate.
- To Make the Glaze
- Pour out any fat remaining in the pan, add the tangerine juice and stir over medium heat, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour any juice that has accumulated on the plate with the chicken back into the pan. Bring to a boil, then strain.
To serve, place a chicken breast on each plate. Spoon the tangerine just over the chicken. Serve mashed potatoes on the side.
- Course: Entrée
- Skill Level: Beginner