Goat Cheese and Honey Phyllo Tart with Sauteed Seasonal Fruit
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
Adapted from Traci Des Jardins, Jardiniere, San Francisco
- Goat Cheese Filling:
- 16 ounces Redwood Hill Farm Chevre
- 1 egg(s)
- 4 Tblsp honey
- 1 Tblsp Grand Marnier liqueur
- 1 Tblsp lemon juice
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 Tblsp flour
- Phyllo Dough:
- 1 box phyllo dough
- 8 ounces clarified butter
- Fruit Garnish:
- 1 Tblsp sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 vanilla bean split
- 4 Tblsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups fresh fruit, peeled and seeded, cut into attractive shapes
- fresh fruit, peeled and seeded, cut into attractive shapes
- Combine all ingredients, except flour, in food processor or heavy-duty mixer. Blend well.
- Gradually sift in flour, and mix until smooth.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on work surface. With pastry brush, apply a coat of clarified butter.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place another sheet of phyllo on top, and repeat, ending with a third sheet of phyllo.
- Brush that layer with butter, and set stack aside.
- Repeat process, making a total of 6 stacks.
- Fruit Garnish
- Combine sugar, white wine and vanilla bean in a saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat slightly and cook until mixture has been reduced by two-thirds.
- Remove vanilla bean.
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat, and add fruit.
- Cook until softened but not mushy, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a stack of layered phyllo on a clean dry surface.
- With a sharp knife, cut 3 circles 5 1/2 inches in diameter, cutting through to bottom of stack.
- Repeat with remaining stacks until you have 18 circles of layered dough.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of goat cheese mixture in center of a circle, leaving a margin of about an inch.
- Place another circle on top.
- Fold edges of phyllo up and over to seal all around.
- Bake on cookie sheet 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
To serve, place fruit and some of its syrup on a plate, and place warm tart on top.
- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Beginner