Chèvre Souffle with Chives and Lemon Zest
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
from Michelle Anna Jordan Serve this souffle neat or you can add other elements and a sauvignon blanc such as Charles Krug 2002 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc. To serve as a first course, add blanched haricots verts tossed with just a whisper of olive oil alongside; cut tiny currant tomatoes in half, toss them with a little kosher salt and serve them alongside, either with or without the haricots verts. To serve this souffle as a cheese course after the main part of the meal, add thin wedges of apple and crackers to the plate.
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted, plus more for the dish
- 1/4 cup flour all-purpose
- 1 cup whole milk or half and half
- Kosher salt
- black pepper in a mill
- 8 ounces Redwood Hill Farm Chèvre
- 6 tablespoons chives fresh snipped
- Zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 4 egg(s) separated
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan (medium-sized, not small) set over medium heat. When it is foamy, stir in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for 30 seconds and very slowly whisk in the milk, a few tablespoons at a time. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the goat cheese until is incorporated into the sauce, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Butter the inside of a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish.
- Meanwhile, put the egg and yolks in a small bowl and whisk until well blended and just beginning to lighten in color.
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mix and beat until they form stiff peaks.
- Stir the egg yolk into the cooled goat cheese mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in half of the egg whites until they are just barely combined.
- Add the remaining egg whites and fold very gently. Do not over mix or the souffle will not rise properly.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered souffle dish.
- Bake until the souffle has doubled in size and is lightly browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Beginner