Camellia En Croute
- Yield: 5 (3 to 4 Servings)
- Ready In:
It's easy to impress your guests with this elegant appetizer that features creamy Redwood Hill Farm's Chef's Camellia (our 8 oz. Camembert style cheese) topped with an unexpected combination of sweet and savory ingredients, all wrapped up in flaky puff pastry. Adapted from recipe at Pepperidge Farm's www.puffpastry.com. Note: if you cannot find our 8 oz Chefs Camellia, try with our 5 oz. size Camellia, widely available. Also any Brie style cheese could work with this recipe.
- 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet)
- 1 egg(s)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup dried cherries softned
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon rosemary fresh, chopped, or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1 Redwood Hill Farm Camellia (5 or 8 ounce round)
- 1 package Pepperidge Farm Entertaining Quartet Distinctive Crackers (optional)
- Thaw the pastry sheet at room temperature for 40 minutes or until it's easy to handle. Heat the oven to 400F. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Stir the cherries, pecans, honey and rosemary in a small bowl. Spread the cherry mixture into the center of the pastry square. Top with the cheese round. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg mixture. Fold two opposite sides of the pastry over the cheese. Trim the remaining two sides of the pastry square to 2-inches from the edge of the cheese. (Trim a bit more if using a smaller cheese round.) Fold the sides up onto the cheese and press the edges to seal. Place the pastry-wrapped cheese seam-side down onto a baking sheet. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture.
- Decorate the top with pastry scraps or additional rosemary, if desired. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is deep golden brown (Baking much longer than 25 minutes and you run the risk of cheese oozing out the crust!) Let stand for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Original recipes says to serve with the crackers but with the delicious pastry surrounding cheese and fruit, I found crackers were not needed�
* To soften cherries, mix the cherries and 1/2 cup hot water in a small bowl. Let stand for at least 1 minute. Drain and pat the cherries dry.
- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Beginner