Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir substitutes for half and half in this delicious quiche. The kefir and the aged goat milk cheddar give it a bright flavor; delicious with the mushrooms and broccoli.
Broccoli, Mushroom, and Goat Cheddar Quiche
- Yield: 1 (6 to 8 Servings)
- Ready In:
This recipe was adapted from a Broccoli, Mushroom and Gouda Quiche recipe by Kate Ramos. We make it an easy make-ahead meal by doubling this recipe and using frozen pre-made whole wheat pie crusts. The original recipe called for half and half; we substituted the same amount of Redwood Hill Farm Kefir. Using our kefir and our aged goat milk cheddar gives this quiche a sharp brighter flavor that everyone loved.
- 1 basic pie crust (we used a pre-made frozen whole wheat crust)
- 2 cups broccoli florets and tender stems large dice (about 6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or less, but we found the mushroom absorbs the oil)
- 2 cups portobello mushroom large dice
- 1/2 onion medium sized, minced
- 3 egg(s) (large)
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Milk Kefir
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farm Goat Cheddar (about 4 oz, shredded)
- 4 slices bacon (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If using a frozen pie crust, bring to room temperature, about 20 min. Prick the bottom of the crust a few times with a fork. Pre-bake the crust for about 10 min. Remove from oven; let cool at least 10 min. before adding the filling.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add broccoli and cook until fork tender, about 2 minutes. Drain well and let cool in a single layer on a large plate.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add mushroom and onion and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft and mushroom edges are golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, kefir, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until incorporated and smooth. Stir in broccoli and mushroom mixture and cheese.
- Pour custard into pie shell and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- As an option for meat lovers, fry 4 slices of bacon in a frying pan, and use only the bacon grease to saute the mushroom and onion.
- Course: Entrée
- Skill Level: Beginner