Valentine Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce
Rich, chocolaty and decidedly decadent, our no-fail sour cream chocolate cake is oh-so-moist and lactose free (thanks to our Green Valley Organics silky sour cream) and begs for a fork when topped with sweet-n-tangy cherry vanilla yogurt sauce. Share a heart-shaped cake with your sweetheart for the perfect way to say “I love you” on Valentine’s Day. Going gluten free? Simply substitute your favorite gluten-free all-purpose baking mix and one teaspoon xanthan gum for the all-purpose flour.
Makes one bundt cake or 8 heart-shaped cakes (using 1/2-cup batter for each cake)
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup butter or non-hydrogenated butter alternative (like Earth Balance), softened
- 2 cups Green Valley Organics Sour Cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
Chocolate Frosting Glaze
- 3 Tbs. butter or non-hydrogenated butter alternative (like Earth Balance)
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 3 Tbs. lactose free milk or soymilk
- 1 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce
- 2 (6 oz.) containers Vanilla or Wildflower Honey Redwood Hill Farm Yogurt
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 cup chopped dark cherries (frozen and thawed is fine)
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
To make the Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce, whisk together yogurt, vanilla bean paste, cherries and almond extract. Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, sour cream and eggs, beating with a hand or stand mixer until smooth.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together, and beat with a hand or stand mixer for 3 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan.
- While cake cools, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cocoa and milk until smooth. Remove from heat, add confectioners sugar and almond extract and beat using a stand or hand mixer until silky smooth. Drizzle over top of cooled cake. Allow to set before serving.
Chef’s Tip: How to Scrape a Vanilla BeanSlice the vanilla bean horizontally down the middle. Using a paring knife, scrape out the vanilla bean seeds from inside the sliced pods. Instead of discarding the used vanilla bean pods, tuck them into a cup or two of granulated sugar in a covered container. Allow to sit for a week or so and enjoy vanilla-scented sugar in coffee, hot chocolate, baked goods, sprinkled over sugar cookies, and more.
PER SERVING: 376 CAL; 7G PROT; 12G TOTAL FAT (12G SAT. FAT); 60G CARB; 76MG CHOL; 276MG SOD; 3G FIBER; 34G SUGARS